As a new mother,you have gone through all of the stress, excitement and difficulties of pregnancy and are now ready to enjoy the parenthood. That signifies you’ve moved on to the next stage of your life, from pregnancy to motherhood. Motherhood is a fresh experience for both the infant and the mother. It is a rewarding phase filled with uncertainties, confusion, and responsibilities. Being a new mother is a beautiful journey in every way.
How should you look after your little bundle of joy? It is a question that many new mothers encounter as they begin their parenting journey. As a new mother, a woman’s body will undergo several changes, which can affect her body and mind. As a result of all these additional obligations and her lack of knowledge regarding childcare, she may become overwhelmed.
But it makes no difference. Only a few days of practice will turn you into a smart mother. Let’s look at some new born starter tips to help you become more efficient.
Necessities Of A Newborn
What exactly does a newborn require? A newborn’s fundamental necessities are limited to a few things.
- Skin Care
A newborn baby, like an adult, requires food to survive, but not the same food that an adult consumes. The newborn’s body is extremely sensitive. The infant survived within the womb by consuming nutrients from the mother’s diet. Breast milk is also the best diet for the baby after birth. The woman’s body will produce breast milk soon after delivery. The mother must feed the infant within hours of delivery.
The breast milk supply will increase when the baby drinks the milk more frequently.
Positioning is critical when feeding the infant. You can hold the baby in a variety of positions. The infant’s face should be opposite the breast. To ensure skin-to-skin contact, the baby’s tummy should touch the mother’s body. When the baby sucks breastmilk, the nipples and areola should enter the baby’s mouth to ensure adequate milk intake.
- If there are 6-8 wet diapers in a day, it means he or she is getting enough milk. The newborn’s weight gain should be tracked regularly.
- Within a few days of delivery, the feeding process will be regularized.
- It is vital to feed the newborn more regularly in the early days. The baby should be breastfed at least 8- 12 times each day.
- Observe the signs that an infant gives when he is hungry. Some infants cry or show specific cues with mouth and lips. Though the baby is asleep, the mother should feed the infant every 1-2 hours.
- When feeding, choose a comfortable location and sit comfortably. Mother can feed the baby for 30 to 40 minutes each time.
- During the postpartum period, the mother should be mindful of her eating habits. A nutritious and healthy diet is essential. The mother’s body should be hydrated, and certain medicines and alcohol should be avoided during this time.
Is Bottle Feeding Necessary?
Breast milk is the best food for a newborn. Though experts recommend exclusive breastfeeding for at least six months, final decision is entirely up to the individual. If the mother has specific health conditions and is on medication or does not have enough milk supply, formula feeding is the next best alternative. However, before making a decision, it is always best to get advice from a healthcare expert.
After Feeding Care
Burping– How should you care for your infant after feeding? After feeding, babies can get irritable. New mothers may be perplexed since they do not understand why their infant is fussy and irritable. The baby is uncomfortable because he or she swallows some quantities of air while feeding. Burping is one method for assisting the baby in relaxing. After each feed, burping is necessary to release the air from the stomach.
Patting– Giving a gentle pat or rub on the back of the baby will help him to relax.
Tummy time- Doctors advise giving newborns tummy time for a few minutes per day. Tummy time allows newborns to stay on their tummies for a few minutes, allowing them to discharge gas inside their stomachs and even improve their body muscles.
Because newborns are tiny and sensitive, mothers may find it difficult to handle them. Because the mothers lack expertise, it may be intimidating at first, but you will get the hang of it after a few days. Here are a few techniques to make the infant comfortable.
- When holding your kid, always keep your hands clean.
- Even when playing with the baby, avoid careless movements and shaking. Always hold the baby with your hands supporting the baby’s head and neck.
- When holding, try to maintain as much skin-to-skin contact as possible. Kangaroo care is an excellent way to strengthen the bond between mother and infant.
- Babies enjoy swaddling. They sleep soundly when wrapped. To soothe the newborn, it is a good idea to master swaddling techniques.
- If the infant is not feeling well, offer him gentle massages to make him feel better.
- You can put the baby to sleep after you notice he has calmed down. Creating a sleeping schedule will be ideal for the mothers as they also can rest during that time.
Dressing A Newborn
New mothers will be excited to get new clothes and dresses for their newborns, but keeping the infant safe and comfortable during the first few months is vital. So, instead of picking pricey infant costumes, choosing soft and light outfits is always advisable.
- It is always preferable to choose climate-appropriate clothing. Separate types of clothing should be worn in hot and cold temperatures. Layering a baby’s clothing helps to trap and control heat between layers.
- The dress should be easily removable, with no hooks, zips, or rigid attachments. Because babies wet their diapers regularly in the first few months, you will need to change their clothing frequently.
- Whatever you use, whether a towel or a dress, should appropriately cover the infant’s body.
Grooming Tips For The Newborn
Every baby is adorable. There is no questioning it. Despite their small size, they require some grooming.
Trimming baby nails: Trimming a baby’s nails is difficult and requires much concentration. However, it is vital because if it is not done, kids may scratch themselves when moving their hands.
- You can clip the nails when the infant is sleeping or feeding.
- After trimming the nails, you should file them regularly using a nail file.
- Do not bite your baby’s nails instead of cutting them because this can spread germs from your mouth to your baby’s hands.
Hair care: A newborn’s hair will be fragile. It is usual for some hair loss to occur during the first few months. No need to be worried because it will regrow gradually.
Grooming kits for newborns can be purchased. Grooming kits contain miniature nail cutters, files, and soft hairbrushes designed specifically for infants. Investing in a high-quality grooming kit is an excellent way to keep such practices going.
Advice On Skin Care
A newborn baby’s skin is exceedingly delicate and sensitive, with creases and a protective layer known as vernix. This protective layer will naturally come off after a week.
- Because newborn skin is fragile, it is susceptible to rashes and allergies. That is why applying harsh chemical-based creams, lotions, and talcum powders on baby skin is not recommended.
- Wetting the baby’s body repeatedly is unnecessary because it can create dryness.
- However, wet diapers must be changed when they become soiled, to clean the baby’s genital area. This will help to prevent diaper rash.
- The diaper should be clean and comfortable, with no irritants.
- After bathing, apply a gentle cream or moisturizer to the baby’s skin.
- Using perfumed creams and lotions is not recommended.
- Even if the garments are brand new, they must be washed and dried before being used on the infant’s skin. Use fragrance and dye-free infant laundry detergents for cleaning baby’s garments.
- Baby acne is relatively frequent and can occur on the nose and cheeks. It will go away over the course of a week or two.
- Allergies such as cradle cap, rashes, and heat bumps can harm a baby’s skin. To avoid this, dress the newborn in soft, loose clothing and avoid using excessive oils and powders on his or her body.
If you require medical assistance, you can seek advice from a qualified doctor.
Taking care of a baby will be a happy experience for you once you begin to understand the following things and act accordingly.